Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Found Myself in an Attachment Style


Here's the thing about this class that I didn't expect: I didn't expect to like it. I mean, I didn't think I would hate it, but I didn't expect that it would be as fun as it's turning out to be. Or as useful. In this weeks lesson I listened to the lectures, and read the applicable bits in the textbook but I approached the material with a rather Ho-hum, more psycho-stuff, one must needs learn it for Skool but it's hardly, you know, something one might use in real life.

Surprise. I enjoyed both Sternberg and Lee's love theories, but what got me was the third part of the lecture, and THIS we want to talk about here. I'll keep it simple, it is simple. And, as I mentioned, useful.

If you've had any Psych, you've seen THE STRANGE BABY. Ok, that's maybe not exactly what it's called. At any rate it's a video that talks about the different attachment styles kids have, and what all goes with them: Secure, Insecure/Ambivalent and Insecure/Avoidant. I've seen it in three classes now and have yet to get excited. But here's this:

Adults have attachment styles too. Yup, sure do. There's a lot to be said about how they're related to one's child attachment style, but for today's class, I think we'll just lay there out there and you can see where you fall. Or stand. I saw myself. Totally, and completely, and it went a long way towards explaining a lot of things, about me, and intimacy, or the lack thereof.

Adult attachment styles represent sets of expectations and beliefs about relationships, to quote our lecture. They tend to be stable, but here's this: They Can Change.

1. Secure. This is the good one. These people find it easy to become emotionally close, they're comfortable around other people, and being dependent on them. Or vis versa. They don't worry about being alone. They don't worry about others acceptance. In fact, they don't worry about much of anything, and waft around in a state of bliss (maybe I made that last bit up) They have a positive view of self, a high self esteem and a positive view of others. They have a good sense of self, and of how they are in their relationships. Nice, eh?

2. Insecure anxious/preoccupied. Competitive, emotionally intense, think this person is literally waiting by the phone for you to call, they will find someone, they are not at all happy being alone without a close relationship. They seek high levels of intimacy, and need approval and validation from their partners. The want attention and lots of it.  Lots of public displays of affection, and are seriously afraid the other person is going to leave them.. They get overly dependent of others for happiness, and tend towards clingy. They want really badly to get intimate, but find sometimes that others aren't so quick to be intimate with them. Negative view of self, these ones. But a positive view of others. They might have a constant litany going on that tells them: I am not worthy of love, or of anyone's love, I'm not good enough so I'd better find someone and keep them.

3. Insecure dismissive/avoidant. These darlings are quite comfortable without a close attachment. They'll often deny even the need for intamacy. Being independent is first and foremost important to these people, they don't depend on anyone but themselves. They need to be self-sufficient. In everything. Loners, truly, but they claim to be happy that way. Less intimacy is fine with them, they don't want people to be dependent on them, for anything. Takes them a while to say I love you, if they ever do. They'll push you away before you push them, head's off any chance of rejection by distancing. They don't trust other are going to treat them right, so they don't have too great an opinion of them. They do have a nice opinion of themselves though. They'd like to date but aren't going to let themselves be vulnerable.

4. Insecure Fearful/Avoidant. These souls have a pretty mixed bag of feelings. They tend to think pretty low of themselves, and low of others. They desire to be intimate, but are really afraid of being hurt. They suppress their feelings. They have a lot of the same qualities as the anxious/preoccupied folks, but without the belief that either they or anyone else is much good. They're scared.

There you have it. Now, the good news is, if you're seeing yourself in one of these is that they can change. You have to work at it though. I'm going to paraphrase the lecture here because my teacher put it very beautifully:

Change the pattern:

Accept that change is a process.
Share your authentic self and the journey you're on.
Purposefully do something different.
Talk about where you've been.
And where you are going.

Act. On. Purpose.

Own where you've been.
Ditch "My parents screwed me up, or this is just where I am"
Confront that.
Look at yourself and see what you do.
And ask: What can I do about it?
And take a different action.

I see myself in #3. It has a name for my Style of intimacy (who knew I had one??) Insecure dismissive/avoidant. I see myself a lot. And clearly. Like, hello, this isn't book-learning, these are real things and facts. That was ME! (she say with a great deal of surprise! Who knew!?) And seeing now, and clearly, I can take some steps, and not sure I've said this before, but I'd like to. I want to move towards a secure attachment.

Has anyone else done this? Worked through it and gotten to secure? What helped? Do you see yourself here? Talk to me?

Intimately.




21 comments:

  1. This is fascinating. I see myself somewhere between 1 and 3, though much closer to 1 and much farther from 3 than I was say, 20 years ago? So yeah, change is possible!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Martha Wallen
    Martha Wallen Very interesting. I think I'm a #3 too. The problem with #1 is that you have to find other people who are #1, and maybe they are so secure in the relationship(s) that they have that they just don't want any other attachments. Or maybe it's more complicated than that. Sometimes I meet people who are not critical or manipulative, and maybe my relationship with them can be pretty secure, and that's nice.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 mins

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to my lecture, 60% of the adult population is a #1. I would think if you were secure, you'd want someone secure too. I'm not sure I see #3 as bad, per se. And if you were with another #3 it might work. I think tho that the Secure people are most likely the happiest.

    The lecture didn't talk about it, or I'm not remembering, but I do think you can be more than one, or on a spectrum between a couple of them. I think in some ways I'm secure, or like Martha said, relationships can play out as secure. Or Mary, you're right, I'm way closer than I was 20 years ago, too.

    But I'm still really really all over #3. Like, it's about me, ha. Mirror mirror, self reflection, to make us better in the helping profession. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I see myself as a combination of 2 and 3. I have never been 1. I like the thought that I can change though, and it's kinda fun to think of being our own therapists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we're certainly learning a lot here in Healthy Couples, haha :)

      Delete
  5. 3/ish. I'm proud of figuring out that I can not be in a relationship just fine. My life is better for it and if/when I develop an attachment to someone romantically I think I'll have much more to offer than I did before: a whole person.
    Now, I do have less need for (what seems to me) constant daily interaction with people, but that may be a spectrum bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole Person is an awesome thing to be working towards. And I need to remind us all doing this that we aren't alone, we're all here together. On my Skool Blog. Thanks J. for reminding me. :)

      Delete
  6. This is fascinating. I defiantly believe that the change is possible. I know this, because with the help of my mentor, I have started the "changing" process. I wasn't aware of how much of a 2, I really was. The whole "I am not worthy of love" or the view of "I am not worthy if I am not being loved". In the beginning of this changing, it was the being alone with myself that brought so much fear. But, as I tried, and practiced being alone, as I started to learn about ME and who I was, and where I had been, and where I want to go, I started to become comfortable with myself. In starting love myself for who I actually am, not what I was, who I wasn’t or who I wanted to be, or what person did or did not love me. I believe that I started having a love affair with myself. I started to love myself, and as this started to happen, the change started to happen. I have a long way to go yet to get out of the “2”, and make it to that “secure” number 1 spot, but reading this today, has me thinking to be cautious and aware that I don’t want to wind up in the within the 3 or 4’s. Change is good. And Change can happen, Thanks for sharing your skool with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks what I thought, completely fascinating. I'm really excited about what comes next. Self love is a hard one, kudos on the work you're doing. And thank you for sharing, this is all helping ME more than you can know. I think you're just exactly perfectly right where you need to be :)

      Delete
  7. I feel like I've been all of them at one point or another throughout my life. I went through my Skool psych class and self-analyzed my attachment style during a time of my life when I wasn't feeling very secure (I had just divorced after a 9 year marriage.) I definitely didn't feel very attachable - putting myself in the 3 or 4 categories, depending on my self worth of the day. During my most insecure times, let's say age 11 until age 24, I could very well have been a #2 - if anyone dared to approach me. I must have exuded desperation! I like to think I'm a 1 now, feeling securely attached and all in a fairly decent relationship. It does seem like attachment styles can be a flexible manifestation of situational stability. But that opinion could be borne of privilege, too. I grew up in an intact family with a wage-earning father and a full-time mother, so I was probably fairly securely attached, only distressing my mother if I got too 3 on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about that, the lecture had said these styles were fairly stable ( but could change!) and also, thanks for the reminder that the infant attachment styles play out here too in the adult ones.

      I wonder tho how much?

      Delete
  8. 3. I'm old and I don't see myself as likely to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's a single thing wrong with that. Sometimes I feel like I could be a new style, maybe "Secure/Avoidant. Like, it's all good, and we don't need that ONE person, if we're having lots of other intimacy in our lives (friends, family, close friends, our group here) you know? I want to feel ok, about me, where ever I'm at.

      Delete
    2. ^^^^THAT. THAT RIGHT THERE. I would love to know if there's room in the spectrum for secure/avoidant, because that's very much what my life is like right now and I'm very comfortable with that. I fully accept who I am as a person and what I've become at this phase of my life, and I don't need the validation of others to maintain that acceptance (the old "your opinion of me is none of my business" schtick, but it's true; others' opinion of me isn't nearly as important as MY opinion of me). I have several close, intimate friendships, good relationships with my surviving family members, and plenty of comfortable, casual interactions with the people I deal with in my community. Does it truly matter if I have no interest in finding The One, and moreover, that I don't buy the theory of The One in the first place? I'm content in my own company, and if others are around, that's okay too.

      Lorraine, has there yet been any discussion of introveted vs. extroverted personality types in relationships? The are plenty of people who would qualify under 1 here in terms of relationships, but are either introverted and thrive on more time alone, or are extroverted and thrive on more attention, which are traits that could arguably make them 2s or 3s if looked at purely in those contexts.

      Delete
  9. I am someone who puts on a front of being a 1 but who is 2. When I started skool I decided that I should be more confident and make friends outside my small group. This initially got me into some sticky situations, but I grew and realized that I need to learn to be more confident but I dont need to lie about my self. My spouse (who met me while I was going through my fake confidence and I am so easy phase) knows that I am beyond insecure. And most people dont know that about me now. So I am a fake 1 with 2 tendancies that I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that! These perspectives help me so much. Also I think "Fake 1 with 2 tendencies I am working on" is an AWESOME description.

      I shall say "I am a 3 with delusions/aspirations of 1"

      Delete
  10. I really liked the bit about Hope too. And the idea that with work, and self awareness we can work and change the things we don't like, and move towards that secure attachment.

    I should stress too that I don't actually think the Secure attachment group is walking around blissfully all of the time, and I don't think anyone in the other groups is a total solid hot mess.

    I just like the idea of seeing things about myself clearly, and moving towards a place where I think I'm pretty ok, and that everyone else is pretty ok, and it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Studying mindfulness right now and this is all about re-configuring the way you look at life and at yourself.
    Basically I am a 4 sometimes pretending to be a 1. Just in the odd case it would stick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm kind of a #1 and #3 hybrid. I feel very secure in my relationship, but I am generally just a stand offish kind of person. I do feel that being raised by a narcissist father and a very angry, cold mother set the stage, but I am FAR more #1 now than I used to be. I have tried to overcome my stand offish nature, but at 51, I'd say I've changed as much as I'm going to. I will say that my compassion is MUCH higher than it used to be, which pleases me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely a 2, possibly the poster-child for 2, actually :P This pattern has been present throughout my life, but I only really got challenged with it when we welcomed a third person into our relationship and all of a sudden ALL of that insecurity, jealousy, clinginess etc. came roiling up to the surface and splattered about everywhere. The three of us have been together for 3,5 years now and I've come a long way since then, but still struggle with insecurity no matter how much my partners tell me I'm safe with them, they love me etc. I'm working on it though and my partners are incredibly loving and supportive. As well as lots of communication with them, I'm finding the work of Brené Brown to be very helpful. She has some really good ways of observing emotional patterns and figuring out what's going on, what's being triggered and how to be more aware of and hopefully respond thoughtfully to stuff as it comes up.

    I'm not sure I'll ever not be a 2 or at least partially so, but I think being a 2 and aware is much better than not having a clue about it at all! And I (and we all) just keep plugging away at our emotional stuff and getting better at dealing with it. Because we love each other because of all our imperfections, not in spite of them :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like these comments about mindfullness and being aware. I think being aware is the first step towards change. When I see bits about myself I don't like, or I'm doing something where my defects are showing, there's almost always a sort of STOP, pause, then the secondary thought comes in.

    Sometimes I take the different action, and sometimes I don't. But I think that these days I'm aware, and trying to change them. I've gotten away from the knee jerk reaction, that first thought, more often than not. I can't stop it from coming in the first place, but I can change what I do with it. Which definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete